Slide background

Cohabitation Agreements

If you are living with someone without being married you do not have similar rights to married couples if the relationship breaks down or one of you dies.  There is no such thing as a common law husband or wife and cohabitants actually have few rights against each other.

If you live in a property owned in your partner’s sole name you have no automatic right to a share or even to stay in the property.  If you live in a property that you own jointly with your partner, your position depends on whether you own it as ‘joint tenants’ or ‘tenants in common’.

To avoid these potential problems you can enter into a Cohabitation Agreement.  This records how you will own and share property and assets if things do not work out.  It also sets out who will pay for the mortgage or rent and household bills.

Nobody wants to think about their relationship ending but the fact that you have an agreement in place does not mean you think the worst will happen.  It just means that you both know where you stand legally.  It ensures that if your relationship ends, you can avoid difficult, lengthy and expensive arguments about who owns what, at a time when you are likely to be emotional and upset.

We offer a fixed fee of £1,000.00 plus VAT to prepare a Cohabitation Agreement.

Please contact Roger Terrell or Claire Fuller for further information or to book an appointment.