Slide background

Financial Orders

We are members of Resolution, a national organisation committed to a constructive and non-confrontational approach to family law matters.  As specialist family solicitors we offer pragmatic and cost-conscious advice to all our clients and our experience in this field means we are well placed to guide you through the process of sorting out your property, assets and debts, which solicitors refer to as ‘financial remedy’.

We know how distressing the breakdown of a relationship can be and will negotiate with your spouse and/or their legal representative to reach a fair settlement for you as quickly and as amicably as possible.  We can embody a settlement in a ‘Consent Order’ which we will send to the Court for approval.  As long as the District Judge is satisfied that the financial agreement reached is fair to both spouses, the order will be made without either of you having to attend Court.

If you and your spouse cannot reach an agreement, then it is open to either party to make an application to the Court.  The Court will fix a timetable to manage and progress your case.  The Court has a wide discretion in financial remedy proceedings and can make a range of financial orders, including property adjustment orders, lump sum orders, and pension sharing orders.  We will advise and support you at every stage of the Court proceedings.

We aim to take the stress and worry out of the legal process.  Many firms charge for work based on an hourly rate.  We are aware that this can lead to uncertainty and anxiety about costs so we are happy to provide you with a fixed fee for the work we will carry out at every stage of the financial remedy process.

If you have any queries or require any assistance in dealing with your financial and property affairs on a marital breakdown, please contact Roger Terrell or Claire Fuller for further information or to book an initial appointment.

Please see our related factsheets: